Monday, February 2, 2009

Culture

I must admit, Mr. Beitelman's lecture on culture really introduced me to a whole other view of culture that I've never really considered. When I think culture, I usually think along the lines of "heritage" or "a way of life." I never thought "cultured" could become a hierarchical(is that a word?) term to distinguish the elite from the not so elite. 
Although the lecture was interesting, I think there are so many challenges that come along with the idea of culture that we did not talk about. For example, what about unawareness of other cultures? Or possibly the unacceptance of different views? Perhaps, the confusion many, including myself, have when it comes to differentiating between religion and culture(mine overlap quite a bit)?
There are some interesting forums on this topic:
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment