Saturday, March 7, 2009

5 ways People try the save the World that Don't Work?

http://www.cracked.com/article_17084_5-ways-people-are-trying-save-world-that-dont-work.html
Please read this article.
I found this article both interesting and amusing. I don't know how accurate he/she is, but I definitley do not agree with him when it comes to recycling.
According to the author, recycling is bad because it requires more labor to do? But isn't that a good thing? We always need more jobs. Furthermore, he says that recycling is not necessary because we're increasing the amount of trees on the planet? I'm glad the number of trees has increased, even though I don't know if that's true, but I don't think that's a reason not to recycle. It's always helpful to have more paper, that way we don't have cut down all those trees we plant to make up for the trees we cut down earlier.
As for the organic food, I don't know what to think. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. The first and foremost thing I think is that this article is full of snark. Which is fine. Snark rules on the interwebs, where if it ain't ironic and sarcastic, it's pretty much irrelevant.

    The tricky thing with snark is it's way, way heavy on the Pathos (sorry -- here I go with the classical rhetoric again). Snark = Humor (a brand [brand!] of it, anyway. Humor can sneak a lot of shoddy logos/ethos past the BS meter.

    This guy's sourcing (i.e., his links) aren't all completely suspect, but I don't entirely trust the way he's using them. And some of his assertions, he doesn't source at all. You're right, for instance, to question the tree increase thing.

    So I think this article is primarily interested in eliciting a giggle (which it does from me, on several occasions) and asking people to question the conventional "progressive" wisdom, which isn't a bad thing. I don't know that these five things "don't work" though.

    ReplyDelete